Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Feb 2001 22:23:42 EST
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing cooling system on '87 Westfailia...
Comments: To: djs@gene.com

There is a special pair of pliers made for the spring clamps. It makes the job a lot easier. I plan to get a pair.

I would stay with the stock spring clamps unless you want to be tightening the hoses every so often as the screw clamp loosen over time, cold weather comes and they leak until you tighten them then when it gets hot they are too tight and damage the hose. I have all spring clamps except one and it started to leak when it turned cold. My mother has an Altima and after only 28,000 miles her factory screw clamps have loosened and allowed coolant to seep out from several hoses. I have had to tighten them several time and now she is going to be getting new hoses because the corrosion has damaged them and different clamps to stop the leaks.

I would also make sure that the hoses are German and not Brazilian. I had one hose that was Brazilian and the Factory clamp was not tight enough after @10,000 miles. The hose is slightly smaller than the German and the spring clamp could not hold the hose tight enough to stop it from dripping. I ended up having to put a spring clamp on it.

I would remove the oil cooler and REPLACE the oil seal behind it. This will prevent the seal from cracking and possibly destroying your engine.

The oil cooler metal pipes will need to be removed to replace the hoses and this will make it a bit easier.

Also replace the distribution T on the passenger side. These tend to fail after hoses are replaced and take out the engine. Replace the thermostat housing and CHECK the top piece that the bleeder hole is clear. If you can clean it out then the top can be reused and if not it needs to be replaced also. If your thermostat has some age on it, go ahead and replace it while it is out.

The radiator has four rubber pads holding it on the mounts, replace them (At least the bottom) to keep them from failing and damaging the radiator.

When you put the hoses on, be careful to not stress the hose to avoid damaging the hose inside and have a failure.

Use the pliers made for spring clamps and the job is much easier. My spring clamps lasted for over 10 years without leaks.

Robert

[text/html]