Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Feb 2001 23:27:46 -0800
From:         Antaki <wrack@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coleman 12 volt/120 volt cooler for vanagon?
Comments: To: Michael Nichols <msnichols@MINDSPRING.COM>

I drove from SFBA (Richmond) to Connecticut and back in my Wolfy using one of these Coleman Thermoelctronic coolers. Before leaving I installed a second battery to help with the camping loads.

The cooler worked well, although we still preferred to put the more perishable things in the ice coolers. While driving, it was always on, and when stopped, we'd run it for several hours on the secondary batteries. After that, the voltage dropped lower than I was comfortable with, so I let it coast until we drove again. No cleaning/draining needed, that was nice. It is built with typical good Coleman quality and design.

However, I kept on wishing for propane powered refrigeration. For long-term camping, if solar, wind or hydro could provide the power, it would be the perfect setup.

Maybe the thing is to put the Peltier units into Dometic and other fridges, to help cool while driving. Of course, the Coleman unit is both a cooler and a warmer.

For more info on the Peltier effect, go to: http://www.howstuffworks.com/refrig4.htm

Keeping it cool,

R ô¿õ o Antaki

Strange that creatures without backbones have the hardest shells. -Kahlil Gibran (1883-1931) [Sand and Foam]