Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 2001 03:27:29 -0600
From:         Carl Hansen <carl_hansen@IEEE.ORG>
Subject:      Hemorrhaging fuel!  Need pump/filter for SyncroBeast
Comments: To: SyncroList - post <Syncro@ONElist.com>
Comments: cc: "Bus Depot - Salmon, Ron" <busdepot@email.com>,
          "Van-Again - Wilfey, Ken" <KENWILFY@aol.com>,
          "VW - Wade, Kyle" <vwmaster@VOLKS-MOTORSPORTS.COM>

HELP! Cracked Fuel Pump! and Fuel Filter!

Sorry for the bandwidth, but I don't have much time.

SyncroBeast has problems. ('89 Syncro) I've got 1 week to get her up and running. Then it's a 1200 mile trip to Moorestown NJ for relocation.

Fuel is Hemorrhaging at the Fuel Pump & Filter. Took both off and found cracks!

Need to know what I need/can adapt/what's the same and available local/ etc.

***************

Fuel Pump.

Looks like they are the same for all Vanagon. However, what else fits? Maybe I can get something from??? say '75 to '79 SuperBeetle or Bus??

I have a pump from my '90 Carat that I rolled. Problem is it has a Banjo fitting on the output side, not the hose barb fitting on the Syncro pump. Other than the fitting, they both look the same and are the same size. Not sure why the output banjo fitting on the one from the '90. Any thoughts as to why I couldn't use it in a pinch?

What's a new one cost?

Fuel Filter.

ditto. It's leaking, what fits. Both ends have barb type fitting.

uh, Ron's got em for $10.

Alternator.

Developed a dead short! I know that A2 golf (8 valve) fits. Anything else, what's available?

what's it cost? I'll check rebuild cost here in town also.

Bubbles in expansion tank.

I drove around the block (about 1/2 mile) when I pulled into the garage and stopped engine, I heard (and saw) lots of bubbling into the expansion tank. It quit. I suppose I had about 10 minutes (max) idling before and after as well.

Now understand that because of the alternator short, it wasn't there. Consequences of that is NO DRIVE TO THE WATER PUMP.

????Please tell me I'm not fighting severe head corrosion and leakage into the cooling system????

Sorry for the rambling questions here. I don't have much time. Depending on what I find I may have to revise what I do with the vehicles as far as what goes to NJ and what doesn't.

I think what I need to do here is adapt the pump I have to the system, stick the alternator on W/O attaching (to prevent short from being a problem) so I drive the water pump and drive around for a few miles to see if I'm leaking into the cooling system.

ANY THOUGHTS?? ANY ONE??? HELP. Boy, when it rains it REALLY pours!

TIA

Ch

Carl Hansen 952.440.2899 carl_hansen@ieee.org

Ch

'89 SyncroBeast Vanagon - Thank god for Brother-in-laws. SyncroBeeast together. '87 16V GTI '80 850 Yamaha Special '87 16V GTI w/ hale damage - parting out - body gone, parts remain '89 16V GTI w/ toasted motor '86 Scirocco (8 valve w/ auto) - SO's

Prior Lake, MinneSnowta