Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 2001 08:32:40 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon ala Coca Cola

As a matter of fact I have, and do.

I work with conc.acids, hydrochloric and sulfuric. Part of my job.

I did not say that battery acid is concentrated, I disagreed with your description that it is "pretty dilute".

Do the numbers:

Concentrated sulfuric acid, H2SO4, (the stuff that comes in the bottle from the chem supply house) is 96.0 % (wt/wt) pure and has a density of 1.84 g/mL Conc sulfuric is 18 M (calculated ph is -1.3!) Ka is 1 X 10e-2

Battery acid is generally 3 M H2SO4.

So take your conc sulfuric and dilute it one part in six with water you will have battery acid.

roll up your sleeves and put your un-gloved right hand in that solution, then tell me if you think its "pretty dilute" or not.

no don't do that ;)

.Alistair