Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:41:15 -0800
From:         Bill Kasper <dragon@IPMTS.UCSC.EDU>
Subject:      we're "new" vanagon owners

well, we did it (thanks to all who helped and all who advised and all who explained the G in the vin number...*g*).

we put down a downpayment saturday on an '87 syncro westy. we should be paid off by the end of the month, and then it'll be ours in full.

i've been reading the list for about three weeks now, and am completely impressed with the breadth, scope, and depth of knowledge people here show about their vanagons. i can only hope to contribute so well as the months/years pass.

a couple of questions. first, what's the deal with alloy wheel strength vs. steel wheel strength on a syncro? the vanagon.com site says steel will deform less during offroad maneuvers. what kind of (a) deformation are we talking, and what kind of (b) maneuvers?

second, this van is removed from us by enough of a distance i don't know that i'll have time to drive it home to us when it's paid off. can anyone recommend a reliable auto transport company they've used to ship cars (ideally a westy) around the country? i have quotes from $1100 to $1500, and a couple of outfits won't ship anything above 6'8" in height (and from recent discussion i hear the westy is 6'10" minimum...).

thanks in advance,

bill kasper (& ali and alexander) '87 syncrowesty (wow!;^)