Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:19:18 -0800
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pulling the engine tonight, anything I need to know?
Comments: To: Steve Blackham <steph@USWEST.NET>

This engine is pretty easy to remove.

Speaking as the former owner of an '82 (and current owner of a Porsche 914 which has basically the same engine, but installed "backward"), removing the Type IV air-cooled is pretty straight forward. In fact, it is pretty much the same as on your '77 bus (same engine), although the sheet metal on the engine is slightly different. But there's not much that's changed in the design.

You can leave all engine tin in place, jack up the rear end of the van and drop the engine using a floor jack. It will slide out from underneath provided you have the van high enough in the air.

Center of gravity varies depending on whether you leave the exhaust in place or remove it prior to dropping the engine:

If you leave the exhaust in place your balance point is just behind the oil screen cover. If you elect to remove the exhaust system prior to pulling the engine, this moves the center of balance forward, and you should center the jack lifting pad under the oil screen cover.

Although it makes the entire mass more unwieldy, I have found that leaving the exhaust system attached allows you to use the muffler as a steadying device while maneuvering the engine in/out. If you get your balance right, you simply pull the engine back a bit, allowing it to separate from the transmission, and then lower the whole package all the way down. You then pull it out the rear.

Tips:

I use a square piece of 3/4" plywood as a platform so that I don't damage the aluminum engine case with the jack.

To gain the maximum amount of clearance when removing the engine, you can remove the alternator and AC compressor (if applicable).

You will remove the L-Jetronic AFM and air filter prior to removing the engine, as well as disconnecting some electrical connections, the FI harness, and plugging the fuel lines under the van. You will also disconnect the heater flappers. It's pretty much similar to older VW air-cooled models.

Another caveat: You need to make sure you don't let the transmission angle become too steep while you pull the engine out, as it bends the shift rod. You also need to put something under the trans to support it while the engine is out.

Hope this helps!

Dan

Steve Blackham wrote: > > I'm pulling the engine tonight on the "new" (to me) 83, I just > bought. Anywords of wisdom. The last VW engine I pulled with the > tranny (A1s and A2s excluded) was a 69 square back 20 years ago. > With the D jetronic frying valves on a regular basis I got quite > adept at pulling that engine. > > Bentley is rather non descriptive on this issue. Do I need to remove > any engine tin? Where do I need to place the jack. Where is the > center of gravity. > > Any and all help is greatly appreciated,, > > -- > Steve Blackham > Centerville, Utah > > 77 transporter converted to camper (Westy top) > 83 Vanagon (New and current project) > 87 Weekender