Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Feb 2001 13:35:13 -0500
From:         "W. Silva" <wsilva@CAPECOD.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fox Trail Family Campground

Tom,

Thanks for the heads-up about this place. The Blue Ridge Mountains is one of our favorite places to visit and camp and we have had some of the best experiences camping in that area but we'll definitely avoid this one. Please keep us informed as to what you hear back from AAA. It may take them some time to investigate the situation but I'm sure they will.

We ran into a situation just outside of Montgomery AL in 1999 when we stopped at a campground off I-85 that we found in Woodall's. The campground was listed as "too new to rate" so we figured we would check it out because it was close by and sick of driving and how bad could a brand new campground be? After following (badly) written directions we came upon the sign indicating the campground was just up this dirt road.. We entered and saw several burned out or completely vandalized old mobile homes and a couple of very old tag-along RVs, piles of trash and discarded TVs, a couple of large barking dogs but not a human in sight. At the top of the hill was a shed not much bigger than what people have to store their lawn mowers and trash cans in. A handwritten sign graced the front of the building with instructions to "Register Here". NOT! Although no firearms were brandished my husband and I both swore we heard the refrain from Dueling Banjos (Deliverance). Needless to say the thought running through our heads at that point was "Feets don't fail me now!". Hot and tired and not to sure of Woodalls anymore we stopped at the GA Visitors Center after crossing the state line where we were directed to an Army Corps of Engineers campground just a couple of miles down the road, R. Shaefer Heard Park, West Point GA. This place is beautiful, on a large lake and very well maintained. We highly recommend it. Every Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds we have ever stayed at have been beautiful but probably the hardest to locate because being federally owned they are not allowed to advertise along with the private campgrounds. . We encourage more List members to report their experiences and impressions both good and bad about the campgrounds they stay in along the way. Incidentally, we have checked out the new edition of Woodall's and that Alabama campground is no longer even mentioned

Happy Camping

John & Wendy Cape Cod, MA