Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Feb 2001 18:52:25 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Automatic Transmission alternatives..help
Comments: To: Jeff Birk <planetp@EARTHLING.NET>

Jeff Birk wrote:

> So I've done all the checks on my AT and I believe the seal is gone between > the final drive and AT; smelly, dark, overfilled AT and underfilled final > drive (after replacing final drive fluid 1 yr ago)...and I'm wondering 'who > around here can fix this thing?'. I can remove the drivetrain, separate > the engine from trans, maybe separate AT from final drive but then what? > Do I have a shop rebuild it? Will they want the van intact before working > the trans? Does anyone know of a reputable AT rebuilder? I once owned a > SAAB and it was going to cost me $3500 for a reman tranny...I traded it for > something else but that's another story. > I've read on the archives (search keeps timing out tonight) about AT's from > Golfs or Jettas or Audis being of similar specs that could be used in the > Vanagon application...anyone know the story here? Any conversions out > there? > > Any help is most appreciated. > > Jeff Birk > '89 Wolfsburg GL - shifting with a funky jitter and getting worse > '82 MB240D > '59 Commando Runabout - with tailfins

My daughter and I rebuilt the AT from our 84 about 5 years ago. It had been "rebuilt" poorly shortly before I got it after the same type of seal problem that you are contemplating. It shifted very erratically for the first couple of years I had it and finally started to slip. I believe that the previous rebuilder failed to clean the gunk out of the valve body completely. It is sort of a hydraulic ECU that controls the shifting, very interesting to work on. Anyway, I could be wrong, but I don't think that the Rabbit AT can be substituted as a whole; the output end is rather different. I think many of the internal parts may be the same, but you would need to check with a Pro. I found most of the useful info about the rebuilding in a Rabbit Bentley manual since the Vanagon book had very little. The job can be done without special tools, if you find the right manuals and are patient and determined. I have not gone into the final drive (differential). Perhaps someone else can advise you about the seals. I suspect that my current van (91 GL) has a similar seal weakness, so I try to change the AT fluid and the final drive oil regularly. BTW I got a rebuilt AT for a Saab 900 in Chicago about a year ago for $995. I think the name of the place is Classic Imports; they have a website. Good luck,

Larry A. Chicago