Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:42:04 -0800
From:         Radish150 <radish150@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      xr4ti venting and 928 P

I just got my phone installed in my new place and have been dying to comment on this merkur thread. Overtime someone mentioned the xr4ti I wanted to wretch. I owned one of those things, traded a perfectly good ski boat for it, WORST car I ever owned by a long shot! First, the motor was nothing but a turbo PINTO motor and (mine was without intercooler) was slow as hell, a contemporary supra would eat it's lunch, the seats truly were the most excruciating little devices I ever sat in (I clearly remember the pain). I took a temp assignment in Aspen Co. one winter as an xray tech and the freakin little POS threw a rod in SL city Utah (we won't talk about how I fixed it). On the way back I had several things go wrong the most memorable was a rear wheel bearing that went bad and I had to fix the thing in the parking lot of some little podunk wrecking yard in... oh who knows. By the time I got to Seattle it took all the restraint I could muster to keep from putting a brick on the gas pedal and letting it fly into puget sound.

I have had probably close to 150 cars in my rather short life (no kidding) and of all the ones I've owned, that's the only one that the mere memory of it causes me to become livid.

I will say that it did handle "ok". I remember rather fondly winding my way up north of SF CA and this girl in a Subaru station wagon decided to push me along the curves. I must say I was quite impressed with the handling of the subie, and the driving skills of the young woman. I finally had to really get hard on it to dust her, diving and braking hard before the corners and then jamming it to the floor, giving that wimpy little turbo a real work out. Since then I've discovered what a real sports car is like. I have had two Porsche 928's in the last couple years, one a 83 euro at 350 (slightly moded) HP (hand built by god), and a plain US 79 which I still have but is awaiting some restoration.

thanks for letting me vent, mark...