Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Feb 2001 14:26:12 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: '84 GL out of the woods! -Long post-
Comments: To: MICHAEL D LINCICOME <MICHAEL_D_LINCICOME@SUNOIL.COM>

----- Original Message ----- From: "MICHAEL D LINCICOME" <MICHAEL_D_LINCICOME@SUNOIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 11:26 AM Subject: '84 GL out of the woods! -Long post-

> Vanagon fans, > > For those who may have missed any of the postings about the 1984 VW Vanagon > GL that I rescued from the woods and from certain dilapidation (based on > the huge amount of pignut hickory nuts I'm still finding in any recess you > could possibly imagine, and forced upon it by some resourceful squirrels & > mice, and it sat for four years this way.) here is the latest. > > The van has been dubbed "Ol' Hickory" in honor of it's surviving this > attempted re-zoning, against it's will, by furry little tree creatures and > into Hotel Rodentia.

Andy Jackson would be proud. > > After routine maintenance parts were changed out & a rotted feed pipe > replaced, new coolant, oil & clean gasoline were added. The van started on > the first attempt & has been going strong ever since. > > I've since fixed the speedometer (cable disconnected behind the > console...hmmmm) but have yet to resolve the non-functioning coolant > temperage & gas tank level gauges. Oh and a broken spade connector I found > last night hooked to a wire in the engine compartment that must go > somewhere.

Where and waht color is the wire? > > I told one list-member about my owners manual being chewed into mouse > bedding, but the cover and the edge of the spine is still there and held on > by the staples. Otherwise, I've yet to find a single chewed wire or cable. > Some of the braided hose in the engine compartment had been chewed, but > that's all. They've since been replaced. > > I now have a lot of carpet, hood liner & seat cleaning to do. Any ideas? I > have a steam cleaner I will use on anything flat, and thought I would use > Woolite on the seats & a vaccuum cleaner to remove the loosened dirt. > Everything vinyl, rubber or plastic will get ArmorAll-ed. The windows > receive the Windex treatment.

I hate Arour all, but tat's just me. Makes my eyes burn and it outgasses all over the glass interiors for a month after it's applied. > > The outside paint was preserved in tree sap. It has no oxidation and only > one bit of rust where the wheel well dinged a fire hydrant. It proved to be > interesting scrubbing the sap off. > > The windshield is cracked on the passenger side & will soon be replaced. > > Oh, and I paid $350 for the whole thing (nuts included). > > Truley a labor of love. I'll have $1000 when it's all said & done. > > > > A few questions: > > What size & profile of tires were standard on this van?

185/70/14 6ply rating (light truck tires) > > I have only two hubcaps left, one of those badly damaged. The good one I > have left has the raised little black VW logo cap in the center. It looks > like it has a cut-out spoke design, not the flat with the vents in it that > I commonly see. Is there a name for the style of hubcap I have? Are any > available for sale? (I need three.) I also see that the old stye VW chrome > hubcaps fit too. Is this acceptable?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Use what caps you like. The spoked ones were standard up to '84. Disks thereafter. > > Can anyone tell me where the front windshield washer solution cap is. I can > see the tanks under the front wheel wells, but casually looking for the cap > hasn't produced the location. Pretty engenious where the brake fluid > reservoir is, I wouldn't have looked for it there. Also, how do I make the > rear wiper work. I can get the washer to work, but not the wiper. (Did I > mention I lack a manual?)

Washer fill cap is on top of the washer bottle, of course. OK, it's under your left foot as you're driving. Under the carpet.

Windsield waster is activated by puling the stalk toward your chest. Rear wiper and washer is activated by pushing in opposite direction. A momentary push will give a squirt fo fluid and three wipes, then intermittent wiping of the back window. If you wish to turn it off, you can reset it by either pusing again or turning the ignition off, then on. > > I think I will order the Bentley & Haynes manuals this > Friday...I...just...can't ...wait...any...longer! BusDepot, here I come! > > Thanks again to all who helped me by answering my previous posts > (especially Joel & Sam), and thanks to all who will be there for future > ones! I've always felt the best use of the Internet was for the sharing of > informatioin & wisdom. > > Thanks also to Steve for contacting me and for coordinating this springs > Vanagon get-together in central Ohio...I'll be there! > > > > Michael Lincicome > > '73 Beetle "Buggy" - deceased - organs donated to five others on waiting > lists > > '84 Vanagon GL "Ol' Hickory" > > > > ********************************************************************** > This email and any files transmitted with it are intended > solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they > are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, > please notify the originator. > ********************************************************************** >