Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Feb 2001 22:27:03 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Aircooling tin questions
Comments: To: Michael Edwards <mpedwards@LYCOS.COM>

As of last year, most of the tin was still available through VW. Small pieces that are missing or rusted can be repaired with some creativity. I was able to get the pieces that were missing for an engine I was installing. I did have to fabricate a cable for the thermostat though. An oil cooler is a good idea but the real problem you will have is keeping the heads and upper cylinders cool. It is essential that the EGR system is in place and working. Although I don't believe in excess instrumentation, since you are in a hot climate and you plan to use the AC, head temp, oil temp, oil pressure gauges are a must. Especially if you plan on extended highway drives. Cracked manifolds and cylinder leaks are common on these engines. Warped cases are also a major problem. Most of the rebuilds I've seen that fail early (especially loose/leaking heads) are caused by a bad case. Low oil pressure is also common on rebuilds because most rebuilder's don't think Align Bores are necessary. Make sure you use the proper oil. 10w30 is a no-no. 20-50 or straight 40 unless using a synthetic. Then 15-50 is okay. Hope this helps.

Dennis