Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:44:35 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Subaru Motors Wreck Trannies?--Commentary

Man, get rid of that hotmail garbage setting!

Sorry to say, it seems the warnings are well-based. Certainly my trans failed with a 174hp GM V6, and I won't be rebuilding it (094 5-speed, 2WD)

The whole point of putting in a more powerful engine is to be able to USE it. hy fit one if you-re going to drive it as though there's an egg on the throttle pedal?

>&gt; installers in South Africa and Australia are reporting widespread >&gt; destruction of the syncro trans with these subaru installations, so >those contemplating an engine swap should drive with a light foot or pick >a mild engine to start with. >On subsequent thought, and after receiving a strong email complaint about >this, I believe the above statement is exaggerated and unnecessarily >inflammatory.

>2. I myself would not hesitate to install a subaru motor if I had the >time to think about it, and some day I probably will upgrade my motor,

Go for it, but if you don't change trans it may end up costing you.

> If I recall correctly, Martin S. of MSDS way back in 1991 sent me a >recommendation that this main >bearing be loctited into place with red >loctite as a fix for this last problem. He should know--he's been >running >a Porsche engine in his syncro and (of course) for awhile after he put >that engine in he got very >interested in his transmission--probably took >it out and put it back in a bunch of times.

Marty sells what he calls "Range Panzer" kits. This is a complete 911 engine/G50 trans conversion. He probably experimented in the beginning with beefed VW trans, but now is into Porsche trans. Wonder why. Ask him...Martin Schneider <info@msdsinc.com>

>The South Africans VW factory actually reengineered upgraded components to >strengthen the syncro >transmission, and this upgrade is a good idea for >2WD owners looking to upgrade.

On 25-6-1999 Shelleys, a South African (Port Elizabeth) VW dealer, offered me a complete Caravelle engine/trans kit...Audi five with 5-speed trans. They said:"We also modify gearboxes as the 3rd and 4th gears are stripping." So there.

I think the problem applies equally to Syncro and 2WD trans.

Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin, New Zealand fax 64 (3) 479-7527 <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> VW van, Toyota diesel & mollusc nut Macintosh 7500/200/64, 6116/60/24