Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:13:53 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: fuel pressure test connection size?
Comments: To: NotaJeep@AOL.COM

Interesting phenomenon, eh? I suspect a combination of reasons with varying (or no) force for various people:

1) It's fun. A Vanagon, especially a Westy, is a spaceship, and spaceships should have gauges. There's a minor snag in that spaceship and aircraft pilots are trained and disciplined to actually look at the gauges routinely, but hey.

2) The famous VW service infrastructure fell down re the Vanagon, especially ten years later. There never were enough to get the culture used to fixing them, and people have largely forgotten or moved on. This puts people on their own a great deal, and often in a position of having to substitute native intelligence for thorough experience. In this situation every little bit of information helps.

3) A lot of failures come under "not-quite-right" as well as being intermittent. These are always expensive to fix because they're expensive to find. Having stuff in place so you can look at it *right then* can be very useful.

3) Magic -- gauges are a talisman against failure. I think the power of magic (and folk medicine) is not to be underestimated here -- in controlling people's behaviour, not necessarily in making the beast run better. Folk medicine often works -- and it often fails, because it takes a successful result as proof of the efficacy of the attempted cure.

4) Reassurance. The fuel pressure regulator seldom fails, in fact none of the mechanical parts of the fuel system fail often. Electrical stuff is far more common. But if the gauge is sitting there reading 2.5 bar over MAP or whatever it's supposed to be, you can completely dismiss that (tempting) avenue and go look for what's really wrong.

5) Compensation for a (real or imaginary) lack in the design. Cooling system pressure for example. If anecdotes I read here are true, the WBX engine has very little tolerance for gross overheating. I'm certainly provisionally prepared to believe it. I stop and help overheated cars beside the road all the time, and they tend to drive away without incident, even ones that stopped because the motor got too tight to turn -- but they also tend to be iron engines with built-in cooling, not aluminum engines with added-on cooling. They also don't tend to blow up parts of the cooling system. They get a chafed hose and lose water and get hot, or they get hot and blow the coolant through the cap -- but they don't get hot and blow apart the fittings. This sounds like a plug for replacing the plastic fittings, since the blowoff cap is supposed to limit pressure -- but does it in fact have a high enough bth/hr rating to really act as a safety, or just to vent a properly operating system as needed? I barely know enough to ask that question, let alone answer it.

6) Personal relationship. Vanagons are people, at least to some of us. *Our* vanagons, that is. How could anything be so annoying and not be a people (or a computer, which everyone knows is bloody-minded people). If the Beast says it wants gauges, better give it some or it may puke on the carpet in spite. Anyway, we *want* to please it. Or propitiate it. Or something. When it's on good behaviour it's a very satisfying thing indeed.

Und so wieter...

david

At 05:49 PM 2/6/2001, Steven Denis wrote: >basically, you're slaying me with this stuff....Yep I've used a multimeter to >check the O2 sensor, and like that, but to fully instument a car with the >idea that you need to keep track of this stuff? I dunno, why not got back to >the Model T advance lever on the steering column if you want to mess with >stuff when you drive?.... >I'm not pokeing fun, I'm just missing something, I guess....

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"