Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Feb 2001 18:44:51 -0700
From:         John Klun <jklun@GJ.NET>
Subject:      Re: Poor Gas Mileage
Comments: To: CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET
Comments: cc: Bob Birkholz <gmi@doci.net>

Okay all! I'm gonna brag a little here about my fuel economy.

I got my my Baby (84 GL) back in Oct. I've already told you all about it in previous posts. I did have a problem with the odometer not working so I bought one from Chris Turner (thank you very much Chris) and installed it about 3 weeks ago. Until then I estimated my mileage and figured I was getting about 20 mpg. Since I've installed the replacement speedo/odo, my mileage is running about 22.8 mpg. This includes 1- 105 mile round trip (highway 65-70 mph) and the rest are short 14-20 mile round trippers into town (55-60 mph), 2 miles round trip to the mail box daily (35 mph) etc.

The engine is a 1.9l wbx totally rebuilt (probably puts out about 85-87 hp) by my fantastic mechanic Bob Birkholz of Grand Mesa Imports here in Delta, CO (shameless plug). He restores/rebuilds VW cars/beetles, vans, and works on some Japanese vehicles as well for a living. In fact I bought the van from him in Oct. So what can I say... ;-)