Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Feb 2001 21:49:59 -0500
From:         "Michael E. Pidcoe" <pidcoe@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: i started this stupid Thing thread....
Comments: To: jayshark@ARACNET.COM

Hi Jay, I know you wanted to stop this thread but...... I am just catching up on my reading and I always save the vanagonlist stuff for last so I am a little late getting here. I have a '74 Thing. It is the best VW I have ever owned. I have had many many VW's in the past including a '65 21 window, a '71 single cab, a '67 bug on an IRS pan and a few others. I have been involved in the VW scene (car shows, racing etc..) since I was fifteen. I still have and race a '72 super beetle built to the SCCA's GT4 classifications. I also have an Intermeccanica Roadster for those readers who are familiar with that Canadian Co. As long as I have been into VW's, I never second glanced the 181's. Too slow, unfinished, not really German, etc... Anyway, something happened and I wound up getting a '74 x-Acapulco with a hardtop that had been painted camo and I mean everything was painted but the glass! Once I got the Thing on the road, I have never looked back. I am sure that VW made this car just for me. It is just perfect. Mine is mostly stock and now sports a used softtop. I will be heading out for my annual President's day cruise with a couple other Thingers that I discovered who only live a few minutes from my home. This car has been my daily driver until I bought my (vanagon content!) '82 diesel vanagon for the winter. I actually bought a syncro first but it is currently living in CA while I am shoveling snow in PA. Thing folks are just as enthusiastic and helpful as vanagon/bus folks. My opinion is get one if you can find one with a good body. Mechanicals are a breeze and the interior, well there isn't one! So there, Mike Pidcoe PS. I find this sort of "thing" easier to take than a lot of the Friday hooliganisms. That can't be a real word!