Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Feb 2001 14:24:43 EST
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Oil pressure light on at idle: add a $1.50 oil boster spring.

The oil on light at idle, is a common problem in T1 engines. An oil booster spring has been used to boost the oil pressure back up to what is needed to get more life out of the engine.

The stock pump puts out 150 to 200 psi. The stock spring is set to relieve this pressure and allow only @10 psi per 1000 rpms or about 40 psi at 4000 rpms (the ACTUAL psi might vary according to VW specs, I do not have them in front of me).

Adding the booster spring helps to make up for the increased clearances due to worn bearings. I do not recommend using the spring as a substitute for a rebuild, but to get some more life out of the engine as you PREPARE for a rebuild in the future. I would also not drive push the engine hard.

Bug Pack, Empi and several other makers have them. They are for a T1 engine, but should work in a WBX engine. The spring is about an inch longer than a stock spring. I will be putting one in an engine that I have been working on for a friend in the next few days.

**I would ADD an oil pressure gauge to keep a check on the pressure during running, so IF the pressure drops (with the spring) you can save the engine.

My friends pressure, when hot drops to 23 psi at @3500 rpms. He has new rod bearings (his old were worn out) We did a top end rebuild, but did not crack the case so I suspect that the mains are worn and this is where the pressure is lost. I will report back on the results of the pressure increase later.

**The use of a counterweighted crank eliminates this bearing wear because the harmonic vibrations that cause the wear are neutralized. The crank, because it has two center offset journals, wants to FLEX in the center. Adding counterweights eliminates the crank flexing and the bearing wear.

*This is one, if not the most important, modification I made to improving the life of my engine.

Robert

[text/html]