Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Feb 2001 08:03:10 EST
From:         Steven Denis <NotaJeep@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: G-R-I-P-E-S  part 5 oil pres woes and more woes and ....
Comments: To: rangerbrian@hotmail.com, rangerbrianc@hotmail.com

In a message dated 2/9/01 11:11:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, rangerbrian@hotmail.com writes:

<< You, notajeep, tell me the blow-by info related to my problem. That actually makes sense and I think I will just consider the rebuilt engine with that. STill I want to check it out. I have a compression tester kit (new, I thought if I was to go buy another car, I should get one to test before I buy). That will answer this theory? Yes? >>

Da boy needs a break....HOWEVER.. I cannot dissagree with 99.97% of what he says...It DOES seem that he's gotten stuck with the end of the road for many delayed maintence items...Many vanagons are BEAT at this point in their lives. I've been stranded with a blown water pump once (don't ignore that "muffler rattle" ..it's the pump..) and stuck for a LONG time with a bad computer on a syncro (pulled the board out of the case for air flow and it ran for hours that way) Car newer and older have left me places, time and time again, and I've resucued people with cars as little as 3 weeks old (and a Honda to boot!) So..

Compression tester...NEARLY worthless piece of crap...I don't even own one.. A compression tester is like putting your hand on the kid's forehead and going "Oooo you're sick!" A LEAK DOWN tester is like going for a physical...You will know WHAT is wrong not just that the poor dear is ill.... Yes, it is more money (but not a lot more these days ) and it requires an air compressor (which they rent by the hour!)

I'd much rather spend a bit more time (you have to position the crank for each cylinder) and say "It's #2 intake valve" than to go "I've got low compression on #2"

I really can't tell ya what you will find on a compression test..if all the cylinder are dead equal? well that's a really really good sign...short of that?.compression pressure is worthless info.. OK..that's a bit harsh...It's a good tool for tune up time..the plugs are out anyway...do a compression test and you can tell if it's worth putting the plugs back in....it's good for that...if there is no obvious problem? then just drive it..you get a low cylinder? out comes the real tool...

If the van runs well..drive it..but DON"T try to race up every hill and keep up with the 32 valve super-zoomies! you have at LEAST 2 tons and slightly over 100 cubic inches...CRUISE it!...then..fix the stuft that needs fixing...PUT the rack boot on..(easy job, mark and unthread the tie rod end..) as you "bring it back" from the dead you will feel better about it..they are really pretty easy to work on (my main attraction ..that and the room..and the visability..and the handling...and..well..) Put SAE 40 in the crankcase like it's supposed to have..keep your eyes on the oil level and coolant level and the engine will live until you get the chance to do a swap or rebuild... Yes, any journey is more of a "trip" in the the van.. I've crossed the atlantic on almost every type of aircraft..(767 is my favorite) but the BEST flight I ever had? Goose Bay Labrador to Shannon, Ireland..in a 1943 C-47...stareing alterntatly out the window at the right engine that developed a "noise" somewhere off of Greenland and the *cold* black water (Oh, please,*please* keep turning!!")...Rough, cold, noisy and they leak enough that the water runs down in your socks when it rains...I''ve forgotten all the inflight movies I saw on the "real" flights.... So enjoy the ride, ya know?

And if all else fails? I pay a whole $50 for dead westys<grin>

steve

"Hey! nice Jeep, Mister! " "Look kid, it's NOTAJEEP! "