Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Feb 2001 03:56:08 EST
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help w/Gas Tank Vent repair?
Comments: To: maxjoyce@ipa.net

In a message dated 2/10/2001 11:51:26 PM Pacific Standard Time, maxjoyce@IPA.NET writes:

> My forearm size won't allow me the reach over the top to push them in, and > access from the sides is apparently non-existent. Help! >

Better go inside and get the wife or someone with smaller arms. I did replaced the lines with the kit from Ken. I think the kit is great and what a pleasure to be able to fil the tank again without getting dizzy.

Now mind you my bus is an 83 water-cooled and I'm not familiar with the later bus.

But I'll share my experiece. If I'm understanding you you're having trouble getting the Ts at the end of the crossover tube into the grommets on the top og the gas tank. To the best of my recollection I mounted the crossover tube ( a plastic tube with a T at each end) before I raised the gas tank up. I think I remember the tube has to go over the shift rod if it is a manual transmission. There was a clamp there on the body to hold the hose and I put the hose through it an screwed the clamp to the underside of the body before raising the gas tank. The black grommets that go in the top of the tank to recieve the Ts have to be installed in the top of the tank while the tank is out. So with the new grommets in the top of the tank I raised and installed the tank and reached in from the wheel wells on each side to push the Ts into the grommets on the top of the tank. I'm pretty sure the tank was completely up before I reached in and hooked in the Ts. I think if your arms are too big to reach in there from the side you will have to find someone with smaller arms. As I recall it's not a place you can see so it all has to be done by feeling in there where the grommet is and then pressing the T down into it. And I should also mention I think it is near impossible to install the grommets in the top of the tank once the tank is up in place. these grommets should go in the top of the tank while the tank is out.

But I definately remember mounting the plastic tube and Ts to the clamp before the tank went up. And then raising the tank up, bolting it in and reaching in from the front wheel wells.

It's after midnight here, but I can look at my bus in the morning if this doesn't seem right and maybe I'll remember some trick. But like I said I think I just reached in from the the sides. And again I'm not sure if our busses are the same.

I hope this info helps. It's been about a year since I replaced the vent lines so my memory may not be exact.

Good luck Jeff 83.5 Westy NYC