Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:07:44 EST
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1L Oil pressure problem: Rods: SYMPTOM NOT CAUSE:UNBALANCED
              crank the ...
Comments: To: NotaJeep@aol.com

<<< Well there seems to be a lot of "hype" there..the counterweights will help the MAIN bearing life as they will have lower loading...>>>

If you look at a T1 engine, almost ALL need to have the case line bored because the case saddles have been pounded oval by the crank flexing, even engine that have not turned over 4000 rpms or driven hard. Gene Berg, along with others, looked into the problem and determined that the addition of counterweights stopped the saddle being pounded out and greatly increased the life of the bearings. The crank in a T4 engine is longer and stronger than the T1 crank and does not have the case problem due to the elimination of the magnesium, but bearings still wear. Now, those building stronger T4 engines are going to counterweights to increase engine life, power and reliability. In the WBX engine the case is aluminum and the journals do not wear as much as the T1 case, BUT bearings were made for an oversized case saddle, so VW knew that the case COULD wear similar to the T1 case and require line boring (IF it was ever done I do not know). So if the case could wear and increase the journal distance, then the bearings could wear and cause an oil pressure problem. The addition of counterweights was done to balance the rotating force of the heavy crank journals.

<<<as far as the flex?..errr... how does adding weight to the throw of the crank PAST the edge of the main bearing reduce flex? if the crank was flexing enough to change the position of the rod relative to it's journal, then the center main would have to move some ungodly distance.>>>

Remember that the clearance between the bearing is SMALL .010 mm. As the bearing wears the clearance increases. As the clearance increases, the crank has more room to flex out of a straight line.

Think about a washer, if the load is unbalanced does the washer run smooth? No, it starts to vibrate and shake. The more unbalanced the greater the shake. The crank is the same way. When you look at a crank, the center two rod journals are on the same side. The weight of those journals cause an unbalanced condition when the crank is rotating. The higher the Rpms, the greater the center wants to flex due to the greater centrifugal force, like the unbalanced washer. The center main saddle and bearing keeps the crank from flexing, when the bearing is new, the flex is minimal, as the bearing wears, (the crank is harder than the softer bearing material) the flex increases. Acceleration and Rpms determine the wearing out of the bearings. The faster/harder you push the engine the faster the rate of wear. Other factors include (but not limited to: Type of oil, how often it was changed, overheating of engine).

The crank does not need to flex much before the rod journals are not exactly perpendicular to the crank journal. When the rods are even slightly off, the rod bearing and the rods suffer from wear. The power loading of the rod during the ignition phase causes the rods to hit one side of the rod first and then the down force on the rod causes the rod to be forced sideways as the rods wants to equalize across the bearing surface. The sides of the rods wear and this also causes the elongation of the rod as it twists sideways in the journal. It does not take much to start the process, then the force grows as the wear increases.

The counterweights balance the weight of the journals. Think about a seesaw that is equally balanced, also think about the washer that is perfectly balanced, no vibrations and all the parts last longer. This is the same principal with the counterweights. The counterweights increase strength of the crank to spin at a higher RPM and not damage the bearings. The crank can be better supported by the oil pressure because the crank does not want to constantly go out of line on the heavy side of the crank. The vibrations in the crank are eliminated because it is no longer flexing due to being unbalanced. The flywheel and pulley are heavy to absorb these vibrations and prevent them from quickly damaging the engine bearings. (Many with T1 engines remove the stock steel pulley and replace it with a light weight aluminum pulley, soon they end up rebuilding the engine due to bearing wear that the heavy pulley slowed down)

<<<Your Type 1 blew up NOT because of what you DID but because what you DIDN'T do..Yes, you can bend rods whacking them with a hammer..stretching the bolts?> >>

Yes, YOU CAN, stretch the nuts but not bend the rods.

<<<Man, you'd have to be swinging that sledge hard enough to knock the whole thing into the neighbors yard! (and clear the 8 foot fence!)...It is not uncommon for a top end rebuild of ANY engine to become a TOTAL rebuild in short order.. an "iffy" bottom end will put up with the pressure that leaking valves and rings can produce..go back to "as new" power and the bearings just give up..chevy six or the type one four, it makes no nevermind .. You didn't perhaps, as others have done, rebuild the top end after the thing dropped a valve? People DO that and don't think about the bent rod.>>>

NO, the engine was running fine. I simply wanted MORE POWER. My 1300 cc engine was slow... All I could afford at the time was to have the heads bored for the 85.5 cylinders, gasket set and a set of pistons and cylinders. I used a hammer and a 3/8" extension bar to hammer the piston pins out. That was enough to slightly stretch the threads on the nut, ONCE the torque of the nuts was LOST (it is only 33 lbf ft), it does not take much to back the nuts off. Once all was put back together, it ran perfectly. I was cruising at 60 and just outside of Wilson, NC there was a loss of power and a loud metal noise like a hammer. I tried to make it to Greenville, NC, but just before I got outside of Wilson the engine locked up. When I looked at it, the rod nuts had backed off on one rod and the cap came off. The rod was not broken, just the cap came off and bent the bolts and damaged one piston (MY BRAND NEW ONES...) I rebuilt my first engine on a picnic table at an ex-girlfriends uncle's autoshop. He would not let me inside to work on a bench.

I also did not have the engine rebuilding experience as this was my first attempt. I followed my father advice, just enough to get by, and I did that, by the third time I followed MY advice and did what was needed to do it right. It lasted three years and was running fine when I sold it.

Then comes my T4 engine, I did it right except for the heads, I cut some corners and had a local shop redo the seats. At 57,000 a sinking seat caused a valve to drop. For my next T4 engine, I had the seats done by Mark Stephen's (before he went bad...) along with other head modifications. The "do it right" approach was done to my WBX. I took all the know problems with the T1 engine, the T4 engine and the WBX and applied known industry fixes to try to prevent them from happening from my engine.

<<<Ok..So..counterweighted crank? Sure..it can't hurt..take a bit of weight off the flywheel too and retain the nice idle.. rebush, resize and balance the rods? there is no other way..the loading on the rod and it's strength are the main reasons that the 2.1's blow...Notice the "racing" top rings? a whole bunch thinner to prevent ring chatter at the high piston speed on the 2.1's. these and stretch bolts are more of the "band aids" of which I spoke.. They KNEW that the rod was overworked and that is a way to make sure that the cap stays on the rod..>>>

Stock rods in a properly setup street engine can take about 150 HP and go to 6500 rpms and live a long life. It is the flexing of the crank that leads to bearing wear and than leads to rod failures.

<<<As far as "why did they stop growing the stroke?"..simple..piston speed is one and rod angularity is the other...even with "shorty" slipper skirt pistons (not known for their longevity in "street" engines) most "big" type one's get wider...long jugs and/or barrel shims.. You can't make the WBX WIDER (ok, you CAN, but remember production tooling and all that?) so to pack more stroke in the WBX "box" you'd get REALLY crazy rod angles and even MORE loading...... I'd be more tempted, if I HAD to worry about it, to use something like a chevy rod, combined with shorter skirt pistons..but these don't exist as it's a piston with the conbustion chamber in it...>>>

This is what I have been saying: the WBX IS a DE-TUNED RACING engine...

No longer stroke? NOT TRUE!

VW could have gone to longer stroke IF they wanted to but was too cheap and would cost them too much. There is a company TODAY that MAKES A 2.5L COMPLETE DROP IN UPGRADE KIT for the WBX. It is basically a drop in to the STOCK WBX CASE. It is a much longer stroke with 98 mm pistons, plus heads, cam, rods, barrels.

Adding counterweights will increase overall engine life and give you many more benefits, so ask yourself: Do I want to spend less than a 10th of a penny a mile to greatly increase the life of my already expensive engine?

<<<2.1's? great torque-..keep the RPM under, oh 4 grand and it will be FINE... >>>

I normally keep it under 4 grand, but sometimes I like to get to speed faster...

Robert

[text/html]