Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:57:35 EST
From:         Benjamin Tan <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Has anyone put a turbodiesel system in a gas
              inline-4?
Comments: To: thewestyman@mindspring.com

Well, I guess everybody responding mentioned everything I suspected but didn't really want to hear.

The reason I brought it up is because I will probably be installing a 1.9 TD in my 16" Double Cab. There is a 1.6 TD in there now. Then I have this other van with an inline 4 GTI engine in it. I was hoping to marry the parts to make super power on a beer budget.

Modifying the block to help it live longer may be acceptable, I just need to give it some thought. New Dimensions in nearby San Clara bought the tooling and rights to the old Callaway GTI Turbo Systems. Of course these are usually done on relatively light weight Jetta's and Golf's. I'm sure I can get things like fuel enrichment systems and such from them.

Going to the 1.8 T will be an expensive proposition due to the additional electorinics and throttle cble problmes. Obviously TANSTAAFL.

BenT