Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:52:06 EST
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1L Oil pressure problem: Rods: SYMPTOM NOT CAUSE:UNBALANCED
              crank the ...
Comments: To: NotaJeep@aol.com

<<<Ummm.... It costs NO more to make a bigger jug or piston or a longer throwcrank if you are already changing them a "little"..so that doesn't hold water(like the head gaskets!)The "unbalanced washer" STILL doen't account for the rods...sorry...I'll put the pile of cranks I've ground next to the pile that you've groundand we'll compare...I'm gunna stop now..but some of your arguments seem to be in defence ofsomething that you've done and are happy with..and I agree that the engine issmoother and will live longer with a "fully" counterweighted crank..I HAVEused them and they are a *good idea*..>>>

No, it does cost VW MORE to add extra material, change stock dimensions: mold remakes, retooling, redesign, etc. They change parts from metal to plastic to save weight and money. They put on ONLY what is absolutely necessary and not any more...Remember they are doing 100s of thousands of engines not one and costs add up... American Airlines eliminated one olive from their first class salads and saved $40,000 a year.

The crank flex does not need to be much to cause premature bearing wear. It is the rod coming down on the crank at a slight angle to perpendicular that starts the wear.

<<<Umm how many people are tired of this? It's WAY beyond what most owners needto know...>>>

You might be tired, but what I am doing is trying to let others that want to keep the WBX engine, that they need to know to treat the CAUSE of the problem and not the symptom, to get extended life out of their engine and NOT have the oil pressure problems due to worn bearings at higher mileage.

Robert

[text/html]