Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:03:24 -0500
From:         Kitzmann <kitzmann@EXIS.NET>
Subject:      Found the mysterious problem with the golf conversion

Hey everybody, Finally fiqured out the, mysterious, no starting problem with my Golf engine conversion. Turned out to be the cold start valve. The thing tested electrically fine, the sensor turned off like it was suppose to and the injector sprayed nicely, but it seems it was spraying too much gas in at start up causing the engine to flood. A few tries at starting like this and the thing was totally filled with gas and had no hope at firing up. Without the cold start hooked up and after many hours with the plugs out to let the gas evaporate and everything worked fine. Drives pretty nice, alot more power then before, comparable to the 2.1L engine but with more top end power and somewhat easier off the line. Quieter then the old engine but louder then when it was in the Golf so I'm hoping to cut the noise down a bit, any ideas welcome. Do others with this conversion have a sound like something rattling against the frame of the van when they drive? I only hear it when I'm driving; can't seem to get it to do it when I'm looking at the engine. Not very loud but annoying. In searching for the no start problem's cause I removed my made from scratch airbox. While it was out I came up with a better idea for the airbox. Uses the Golf filter and most of the original Golf airbox and fits in the space on the drivers side of the engine compartment. Tight fit, but I think it is better then the aluminum box I had made earlier, except I still need to fabricate a rain shield to divert water from the top of the airflow meter. I'll send pixs out to all those who asked for them earlier as soon as I get the digital camera. Now if I could just find a set of nice tan captains chairs and a fold down rear seat to replace my badly worn out seats. It seems everybody is selling blue seats.

Dave K.