Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:10:11 -0500
From:         Liz Maher <maher@MAHERCONSULTING.COM>
Subject:      '85 Vanagon Westy - to buy or not to buy?

Hi all,

I'm just about to buy an '85 Vanagon Westy with no fridge or stove or sink but it does have a popup and sleeps 4. Some small dings and a tiny bit of rust. New Vanagon engine 26K ago, 228K on the bus. No radio but does have heat and A/C. Interior and pop-up are in very good shape. Appears to be a leak in the skylight seal - there's a bit of water on the linoleum floor, seems like more than we could have tracked in (it's snowy here).

Curtains and such are in good shape. We drove it for about an hour, in winter. It started right up and ran wonderfully, stayed warm. There is a crack in the windshield - not sure if that has to be replaced right away or not and I can't find any on the online parts sites. The outside handle on the sliding door is broken but working - the thinner end of it is gone.

Would you pay $1600 for it? Would you make sure to go out of your way (OK, about an hour) to see a VW mechanic to check it out first? I've been reading about Westies all day and I'm concerned aobut the head gasket thing though there's no visible leak or anything under the bus. We looked at several Westies - from '72 up to this one and this is by far the nicest, at least as far as we can tell. We plan to use it for camping and longer car trips - it will be a third car so we won't commute in it. The price is just what we wanted to spend.

We're in Ohio if that matters.

Thanks in advance to anyone with any thoughts or advice.

:) Liz