Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:46:15 -0600
From:         "Frederick M. Wasserstein" <vwvan@CORNHUSKER.NET>
Subject:      Re: SUV was road rage
Comments: To: Schmidt <schmidt5@HSONLINE.NET>

I am with ya Jay, I also own a Vanagon and a Suburban. My 4 X 4 gets me where I need to go in Nebraska during the winter (TWO winter storms this week). I use my Westy for enjoyable camping trips when I am not in a hurry (A diesel Vanagon Westy). By the way I get 35MPG in my Westy and 10 MPG in my suburban :-(.

Fred 1982 Vanagon Westy Diesel "Sammy" 1984 GMC Suburban Diesel 4 X 4 " The Beast" ----- Original Message ----- From: Schmidt To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 2:48 PM Subject: SUV was road rage

It is chic to be against every SUV on the road these days, especially if you drive a vanagon. You are even cooler if you talk about the "mentality" and the testosterone high, the mpg, etc. For some these vehicles make sense. My Suburban hauls my four kids, wife, groceries, toys, car seats, and what-nots every time we turn the key. It does so dependably. It does so safely. It goes anywhere in any weather. Sure, my outback AWD did the same thing when we were a family of four. It was small, trendy, chic, and granola enough that we did not have complete strangers harassing us for owning one. I own a Suburban for some of the same reasons as I own my vanagon westy 6 passenger. It comfortably seats my family and hauls "family stuff." I also own a suburban BECAUSE I own old vw vans. It tows or pushes anything anywhere. Towing and pushing is inevitable when you insist on owning "cool" vehicles like busses. Hopefully my wife does not get too big of a testosterone boost when she takes the kids to school. Hopefully the vanagon owners she passes don't secretly despise her for driving the suburban. Even if they do, she or I will still stop when you need a tow, jump, push, or just moral support. Sorry for the minimal VC in this post. Jay Schmidt 97 Suburban 4X4 90 Buick Full size Brady wagen with third seat 84 westy 6 passenger 77 westy deluxe-garaged...seats only four 71 highroof camper lawn-ornament/ playhouse 70 wife 93 girl 96 boy 98 girl '00 boy No apologies- the vanagon does NOT get better mileage than the 'burban!

[text/html]