Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:00:06 -0500
From:         Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1L Oil pressure problem: Rods: SYMPTOM NOT CAUSE:
              UNBALANCED crank the Problem
Comments: To: Wolfvan88@aol.com

I disagree the 2.1 cranks dont flex and in the hundreds wbx of engines I have dissasembled and rebuilt (unlike the bug crank) I have never seen any sign of a wbx crank flexing or the edges of the rod bearings showing any wear All 2.1 rods do however show out of rod at the big end the 2.1 engine uses a stretch to yeld con rod bolt this is a bolt is torqued to a certain ft pds of torque then it is given a 1/2 or a 1/4 turn this puts it into a yelding or a stretched state the 1.8 and 2.0 vw golf jetta engines use these also on there rods and heads you use type 1 info to make points about a completely different engine and crank apples and oranges your ideas dont match what I have experianced and vw engines is all I do all day every day for the last 30 plus years Boston Bob

Bob

Wolfvan88@aol.com wrote:

> <<<...The con rods are the same on the 2.1 and the 1.9 but the bolts > aredifferent I blame the stretch to yeld bolts for the distortion of > the2.1 > rods. the1.9 engines never throw rods and the 2.1 are well known for > throwingrods...>>> > > Why do you blame the bolts as the problem for causing the rod > distortion? > This does not make since. If the bolts stretched ANY AT ALL would > they not > come a part in a few miles NOT THOUSANDS of miles or NEVER AT ALL. > > Once in my past when I did not know much about the T1 engine, I did a > top end > rebuild on my 1300 cc 66' bug engine. I went to 85.5 mm pistons. I > simply > banged the old piston pins out and put on the new pistons. I did not > know > that that would STRETCH the rods bolts. In about 40 miles, one of the > rods > let go and destroyed my engine. The bolts came loose and backed off > the rods > allowing the cap to come off and locking the engine. > > If this is what you say is happening, the rod bolts stretch allowing > the big > end to be distorted, would not ALL the 2.1L engines rods FAIL and have > rod > nuts coming off left and right EVERY 2.1L engine that was ever made > BECAUSE > if the bolts stretch then the nuts would back off. > > I see the distortion is due more to the uncounterweighted crank > COMBINED with > the LONGER stroke that is putting increased stress on the rods causing > the > distortion AND the increased bearing wear. The crank flexes during > running > and with the longer stroke the angle on the rods is greater due to > increased > travel thus bearing wear and engine failure as the bearing can no > longer > support adequate oil pressure and a rod overheats and the rod then > breaks > apart. > > Bob, I think that you are looking at the symptom and not the cause of > the rod > problem. > > You have to ask "Why did VW go with the 76 mm stroke in the engine and > not > any larger?" > There were a lot of racers using larger strokes in the T1 engine and > some > developed ways to make the softer stock T1 case live 200,000+ miles by > just > changing the crank slightly. > > Could it be that during their testing any longer stroke on the stock > crank > caused early engine failure and the 76 mm stroke gave an adequate > 100,000 to > 150,000 mile life expectancy with the stock crank which was normal for > an > engine in that time period. They built in a predetermined engine > failure time > to ensure new car sales or revenue from replacement engines. > > During my engine modification development, I have talked with several > machine > shops: RIMCO, Demello Machine Shop and my local machinist, FAT > performance > and others to name a few. When I asked them about problems that had > surfaced > on the list: Broken cranks and rod failures, I was told that crank > failures > were rare and not a problem and the rod problem was not with the > bolts. The > rod would break before the bolts would. It was when the rod got over > heated > due to bearing failure and causing oil pressure loss and the rod > seizing to > the journal. The bearing failure is due to unequal stress across the > face of > the bearing causing one edge or side to wear before the other side. > > The solution to the rod problem is not just changing the rod bolts, it > is > more than that I think. By simply adding counterweights to the crank, > it > will hold the rod in perfect alignment at any RPM by eliminating the > crank > flexing. This eliminates any side stress on the rods that comes from > the > crank flexing as the engine rotates. The rod bearing can support the > oil > film equally across the face of the bearing rather than on one side > and the > bearings last longer, up to or more than double the normal life > expectancy of > the bearing. > > Adding counterweights cost @$150 (my costs about two years ago, could > be more > now...) > $150 / 150,000= 0.001 cost per miles $150/ 300,000=0.0005 > So ask your self: "Is it worth .001 cents to get an extra 150,000 > miles out > of your bottom end?" > > The other benefits of the counterweights: Smoother engine, more power > across > the RPM range, can handle faster take offs without damaging bearing, > can > lighten flywheel to further increase take offs and improve low end > power. > > Proof in is the Gene Berg Enterprises engine track record and the MANY > T1 > engine that have properly built and matched engine and in my engine... > > Feel free to disagree... > > BTW the Bug rod bolts cost only $0.88 each from my FLAPS > > Robert > > > > > >

[text/html]