Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:50:34 EST
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch problem on 85 westy
Comments: To: jbeckham@worldnet.att.net

In a message dated 2/18/2001 12:40:33 PM Pacific Standard Time, jbeckham@WORLDNET.ATT.NET writes:

> Now for the problem I just > finished installing the master cylinder and still have an intermittent > clutch some times it works some times it don't.

Joe--

I haven't had the problem you have with the clutch. But I do remember that the clutch slave cylinder, according to the Bentley manual, has to be bled "only with pressure bleeder". Which I suppose means bleeding the system by pumping the pedal for some reason would not work to purge air from the system. (perhaps someone out there knows more about this and why pumping the pedal does not work to bleed the system.)

I'm not sure what method you used to bleed the system. And if you already know this information, I'm sorry for stating the obvious. I just remember it not being something that would seem obvious--at least to me.

I bled my clutch slave cyliner using a brake bleeder pump which I used as a suction on the slave cylinder bleeder. Honestly I don't know if this is the correct method but it seemed to work OK and the clutch seems to operate properly for about 15,000 miles so far.

Incidentally the fluid in the clutch line was nasty and brown and obviously hadn't been purged in some time--for those who haven't done it in a while might consider bleeding this line. I think it's recommended every two years along with replacing the brake fluid..

I have another theory, but it's only a theory--and that would be the short length of rubber hose in the back of the bus between the metal brake fluid line and the slave cylinder is flexing and expanding due to wear, and not allowing the slave cylinder to operate properly. Although if it were flexing it would seem it would always flex--and therefore not explain sporatic clutch operation.

Again--I don;t know if this would be the cause of your problem, but seems a place to check. Perhaps you've checked this already.

Good Luck Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA