Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:17:30 -0500
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: H3 bulbs

Ok, here goes. First, I connected 2 parallel 10 gauge wires to the + terminal on the battery. From here they both go directly to a 40 amp marine circuit breaker. The breaker is in the battery compartment enclosed in a plastic box. Out of the Circuit Breaker the 2 10g wires are encased in a plastic wire conduit, go through a hole (w/grommet) in the seat base, come out under the passenger's feet and disappear under the rug (notched the floor pad to allow room). They come out behind the glove box and serve to power a fuse block (quality marine stuff) with 6 open fuse slots. From the 3 slots being used, I ran a single 10 gauge wire to each of three relays, also mounted to the steel crossmember behind the glove box (to check fuses, you drop the box). From the output of the relays again ran 10 gauge to each of the 3 pair of light filaments(through the firewall again the hole has a rubber grommet). I went to alot of trouble to be sure that where these wires terminated at the bulb plug, it was a soldered, direct connection. Not crimped, and not running through a pigtail of the original small guage wire. Finally, each light is grounded (10 gauge) to a ground point that I created next to the fuse block. The relays are triggered by lighter guage stuff tapped into the original light circuit. The first part of the circuit (up to the relays) is live all the time, hence the circuit breaker. The signal to the relays gets turned off with the key, so the lights behave as they always have. Probably sounds like a ridiculous amount of work which it was, but hey if I didn't enjoy doing this stuff I'd own Caravan or a Toyota or something. The end result though is amazing. I live in a rural area of Connecticut with alot of very narrow, winding, up and down roads. Compared to the flashlights of the stock Vanagon, well there is no comparison. I do have to be very careful about dropping the hi beams when there is oncoming traffic. They literally could temporarily blind someone.

Gary ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Sullivan" <sullivan@openmarket.com> To: "'Gary Stearns'" <gstearns@optonline.net>; <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001 5:50 PM Subject: RE: H3 bulbs