Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Feb 2001 11:24:55 -0700
From:         Mark Keller <tyler@ISLANDNET.COM>
Subject:      Road Horsepower vs rolling resistance
Comments: To: Derek Drew <derekdrew@RCN.COM>

Derek,

Your topic is very close to a future project of mine-- road horsepower. So I'll share my thoughts that may be of value but are as of yet untested.

You've probably read of the road horsepower statistics in vaarous car magazine reviews. I recall the parameter of 60 mph, level ground, and sea level pressure type of conditions. Given that, a Honda Accord or any other 2

liter sized car, required 10 horsepower to maintain a 60 mph cruise. The exact figures aren't important at this point.

What is important is that the Vanagon requires nearly 60-70 hp to maintain a 70 mph cruise. Those are ballpark estimates based on the dyno report at Volkscafe, i.e. 4000 rpm total wheel horsepower available, 75 hp and 12 inches of vacuum, 80 % power, from my van at 4000 rpm; yields 60 hp. my future project is to quantify the road horsepower.

My observation is that your increase in cruise speed, necessary in my opinion, will bring a higher required road horsepower but largely through increased aerodynamic drag. I do know one drag coefficient for a early vanagon was .46. The total drag plate area varies from Carat to

Westy, but a guess is 30 sq. ft. The Honda would be like, 15 sq. ft. Both are guesses of width x height of vehicle cross-section.

I feel that vehicle height, Carat the lowest, and a Westy Syncro with the tall tires the highest, also significantly affects the road horsepower.

Ground effect reduction of aerodynamic drag is enhanced by lowering the vehicle and thus reducing the amount of airflow beneath the vehicle, which is aerodynamically full of drag inducing surface variations. I measured my van height before loading it with 1800 lb.. of cargo, which lowered the Van by 2 inches. My gas mileage remained unchanged at 21 mpg on the 2400 mile trip. I believe the reduction in ground clearance, reduced undercarriage drag, enough to offset the required increase in road horsepower to move the 1800 lb...

In my opinion, one way for you to offset the horsepower issue is to by cleaning up the undercarriage of the van thus, improving aerodynamics. For a start in thinking, I saw a 4 x 4 mud racer use the 12" x 12" thin steel sheets that the dirt bike racers paint their numbers on. Looking at his

trucks undercarriage, while it was on a lift, the plates were duct taped

from the front end all the way to the back wherever he could, much like flooring tiles. The effect was to keep mud from accumulating in any undercarriage cavity during his run. Ours would be to reduce the total area exposed to the aerodynamic slipstream. Anyone who has tried to drive the vanagon into a

modest 20 mph head wind will attest to the way is saps the engine's available power reserve. Upping the top cruise speed is really doing the same thing.

Although the vanagon is a different animal than a 4 x 4 mud racer, any effort to reduce aerodynamic drag in the undercarriage will make a better 75 mph cruising machine.

Sincerely,

Mark Keller 91 Carat Cowichan Bay, BC

I'd like to dialogue some on this pmail, if you'd like. I'll post this to the list as I have some other people pass their insight.