Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Feb 2001 07:04:31 -0600
From:         Fetner Greg <FetnerGreg@JOHNDEERE.COM>
Subject:      towing anything

My two cents toward some of the messages...

I have been involved with VWs my whole life...Dad worked as Service Mgr @ Cheeley Motor Co. (Atlanta, GA, VW dealer) from 1957 to 1973...I came along in '62...then he opened his own repair shop (Valley VW, Langdale AL) that I had the wonderful opportunity to grow up in, turning wrenches on the air-cooled stuff. Anyway, we had a wrecker (tow truck) that made hauling stuff wonderful. Anyhow, he went out of business in the early 80's and we adapted and began hauling with a dolly he made (copied the factory versions) and the main lesson I'm preachin' here is ... ALWAYS TRY TO BE PREPARED FOR S*** HAPPENING. We carry spare tires, for both dolly and what is being towed, anytime we tow stuff. I have since gotten into the habit of using a trailer to haul stuff around. I have racecar buddies that have trailers...I borrow theirs with an offer to rent, do PM on the trailer as a "thankyou"...chip in and buy a tire or two whenever they need replacement. This ensures that I get to use the trailer again in the future and kicking in a few bucks/elbow grease is cheaper than buying a trailer or dolly.

I enjoy my VWs but I drive a Chevy 2500 pickup (Suburban convertible?) to do my towing/hauling. We had a 78 Deluxe Campmobile in the early 90's that we tried to tow our Beetle 'vert with and it didn't do very well. The water cooled vanagons may handle the extra heat of towing better than the air-cooled models...but I wouldn't subject them to the punishment.

One last thing about towing...when you hook up and start out, drive a mile or two and stop. Check all straps and chains to make sure nothing has worked loose. Drive another 10~20 miles at higher speeds, stop again, feel the tires and hubs of the trailer/dolly for excessive heat..this is an indication that something is wrong and will bite you hard if left unattended. Check straps and chains again. Repeat this stop/check process, increasing the distances between until you feel comfortable with your setup. Ultimately you can reduce the checks to only at fuel stops. I have towed/hauled VW's (as well as my Chevrolet projects...I am a recovering Chevelle-a-holic also) all over the southeast with very little trouble, but always prepared for it should it arise.

Fetner