Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:41:24 -0800
From:         Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1L Oil pressure problem: just wait and see! Plus sponsor
              info!!
Comments: To: Wolfvan88@AOL.COM

If you just wait a week (I hope), you will all find out, in the case of my vanagon, who is right--at least in the short term means. It was my vanagon which stirred up this recent inquisition of oil pres woes. The engine is coming out tomorrow, the parts, HOPEFULLY arrive on tues. And all will be done by the end of the week. Here's what I'm doing: New heads, Boston Bob "rebuilt" rods, new rod bearings, new piston rings for good measure, new oil pump, and the other basics. Boston Bob so much feels this is the root of the matter--the rods, that is--- that he paid for the rods and bearings. Of course, Mr. Lilley, if you would sponsor me a new crank and main bearings, I'll gladly rally for your theories. Actually, it will probably be two weeks, since I'm mailing my old rods and bearings back to Boston Bob for analysis, and subsequent publishing of results. Anyone in seattle area wanting in on the sponsorship, I need a digital camera for list follow-ups (USB preferred.) Also, a nice kerosene or electric heater would be nice. Sponsorship contracts could be donated by one of those many list lawyers that are always yapping about sueing another list member. let me know. Donations accepted. Brian Cochran a presently, partially disassembled 84 westy 2.1, AT Carnation WA

Re: 2.1L Oil pressure problem: Rods: SYMPTOM NOT CAUSE:UNBALANCED crank the ....

--part1_fb.11ca9242.27c15e62_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Bob, I might not have the years of experience you have at rebuilding WBX engines, But on the few that I have taken apart, I have seen the center main bearing saddle case fretting like the T1 engines. On another engine I saw rod bearing wear consistent with my thinking that the increased stroke is the real problem not so much the bolts. The rod bearing was worn at an angle (one side more than the other) and it was consistent with the location of the rod on the crank. The bearing was worn and you saw the copper colored metal under the top layer of the bearing in the shape of a triangle.

Can you explain just how the rod bolts stretch over thousands of miles, allowing the cap to bend and but the nuts do not back off? Like I said, I can see the nuts coming off the rods

From my experience the slightest reduction in torque will allow harmonic vibrations to cause fasteners to back off in high stress environments: nuts on the rocker arm stand, valve adjusting screw nuts, nuts on rods, case bolts, etc.