Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:26:04 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <busdepot@EMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Finally, a complete Westy carpet kit

> After many phone calls to various vendors, much disappointment, > arm-twisting and cajoling, I can confirm that Sewfine > (http://www.sewfineproducts.com/) now has a COMPLETE Westy carpet > kit.

> The volks at GOWESTY (www.gowesty.com) have been selling all sorts of > Westy/multivan/Vanagon carpeting in all sorts of shades and > configuration for a few years now.

I sell both, plus the Genuine Volkwagen sets, and they're all quite different.

What Go Westy sells is carpeted mat, not replacement carpet. This means that it is intended to go on top of your existing carpet, not replace it. For example, the front section does not cover the seat pedastal area like the stock carpet does, so if you were to rip out your existing carpet and replace it with the Go Westy one you'd have bare metal there. The exception is the rear mat for Westies. The original mat simply pulled off for easy cleaning, so essentially it was nothing but a "carpeted mat" to begin with. The Go Westy replacement works the same way, so essentially it is a direct replacement. (I have one in my 89 Westy because the original one was missing when I bought it, and I can confirm that it does look good and fit nicely.) If you want a mat that you can lift up and brush off, the Go Westy mats are a good choice. These mats are available in a choice of colors (brown, blue, gray) and piles (thick or short, about $30 difference in price). Since they are aftermarket, they are not an identical color match to the original carpet but do look good with it. An embroidered Westfalia logo is an option on front or rear. All are on my website and in my print catalog. They can take a couple of weeks as they are typically made to order.

Another option is the genuine Volkswagen mat set I sell, which has an embroidered VW logo on the front ones. The "genuine" set consists of a pair of front floor mats, one in front of each seat, whereas the Go Westy set is a single front piece that covers both seat areas plus the section between the seats. Also, VW does not offer a rear version for campers, so only a passenger van or multi-van (rear facing seats) version is available for the rear. The front mats are available in black or gray; rear in gray only. Again, available on my website and in my catalog. I try to keep the front mats in stock; rears take about a week to get.

The Sewfine kit is a different animal entirely. This is replacement carpet, not a mat set, so it is desgined to replace your original carpet. Therefore the front section is a bit more involved, including sections around the seats etc. It also involves more work to install than a simple "throw over" mat. A choice of colors is also offered; like the Go Westy mats, they are not an identical color match, and are also made to order so allow a bit of time. These are brand new (Sewfine has been working on the pattern for about a year now) and are not yet on my website, but should be sometime this week.

My "delivered" prices typically run about 5 to 15% off of the prices you will find elsewhere. (Make sure to ask for your listmember discount.)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW