Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:15:01 -0500
From:         Isaac Taylor <irtaylor@FAS.HARVARD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Need remedy for a blank display on radio
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@YAHOO.COM>

Steve,

This unit has probably had an incorrect security code entered, repeatedly; it's in anti-theft (or post-theft?) sleep mode. You might try leaving the unit powered-up for a few hours to see if it wakes up -- only then can you enter the correct code. And make sure you've got the right code it's do-overs.

I just went through this with the factory head unit on my 98 Golf music edition, which had the wrong security code in the owner's manual. The dealer locked the radio while changing the battery out, and then tried to bilk me $80 and feed me some bullshit about how they had to unlock the radio with a special tool; meanwhile the mechanic on his smoke break says, "psst. hey buddy, just leave the radio on while you're at work and it'll unlock in a couple of hours".

Don't know if that's how they did it in 92, but good luck! Isaac in Cambridge

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Johnson" <sjohnso2000@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001 9:02 AM Subject: Need remedy for a blank display on radio