Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:24:27 -0800
From:         Todd Last <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Cruise control tips

Hello,

I just finished diagnosing why my cruise control in my '88 Westy was not working and thought I'd pass on a few tips.

First, the Bentley has the troubleshooting page for cruise control a bit hidden - at least for me, it took a few going's through the manual to find it. Anyway, it is on pages 27.25 though 27.31 The heading on this page, and the others (The reason I had such a problem finding it) is titled in bold print " ELECTRICAL- BATTERY, STARTER, ALTERNATOR.

Note: The control unit location is stated as "behind instrument panel - right" What they mean is: "Behind the glove compartment. If you drop the glove compartment, you will see the silver control unit.

The troubleshooting flow-chart is pretty good. However I would recommend that you check the continuity of the clutch and brake valves first thing. (This turned out to be my problem - one of the vent valves was not making electrical contact.

If you follow the flowchart, and on Step 3 " Vacuum vent valves do not work" Add the following: If your test light does not light at all, you have a bad vent valve or a broken wire (Red-Black) between the connector and the vent valves.

Interestingly, I took my vent valve apart and cleaned it, and it still would not work. Sometimes it would work if the switch was closed quickly, but not if it was done slowly. This was the cause of my cruise control working intermittently.

Hope that helps anyone else who is trying to get their cruise control working.

Also, most other cars have an indicator that lights when the cruise control is turned on - this does not seem to be the case with the Vanagon. It looks like if you wired an LED to connector 1 on the plug that goes to the control unit, this would light as the cruise control is turned on.

Todd '88 Westy