Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:16:39 EST
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: storing van-brake discs
Comments: To: paradigm@allegraprinting.com

In a message dated 2/19/01 11:09:07 AM, paradigm@ALLEGRAPRINTING.COM writes:

<< Any ideas out there regarding keeping the brake discs in good shape on a sitting Vanagon (currently outside). >>

In a message dated 2/19/01 3:48:40 PM, meed@MBARI.ORG writes:

<< No real experience, but if I had this problem I'd try a lightweight spray-on silicone coating/lubricant (brand names escape me at the moment... the one I used was sold for lubing food processing eqt but FLAPS sell similar stuff... basically you want the stuff that comes out in a thin clear mist and then dries leaving a light, somewhat slippery film behind.) >>

Are you sure you are not thinking of bacon grease? I was not going to enter into the fray on this subject, but what is suggested above is so foolish I wonder how one could ever muster the temerity to put forth such an idea.

Lee, if the rusting rotors really bother you, use the van more often. It has been my experience with motorcycles that the rotors which rust the most readily also brake the best. In this case, cast iron is better than stainless steel.

Now, if you want to try something reasonable, I offer this. I went to buy some tools from an old machinist. As we stood over his tool chest, I was hit with a strong odor of what I thought was Vick's Vapo-Rub. Once I was sure that this old guy wasn't sniffing the stuff for kicks, I asked him about it. He told me that the smell was coming from the cake of camphor which he kept in his tool chest. He claimed that the camphor prevented his tools from rusting. I never had the occasion to test his contention, but I know that these old craftsmen are not suckers for snake oil. So, you could try draping a plastic garbage bag over the wheel and chucking in a cake of camphor. If it doesn't work, at least it won't kill you.

Rich