Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:17:06 -0800
From:         Holly and Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>
Subject:      DUMB swaybar question - thanks (bit long)

Well thanks for the informative answers on the homemade sway bars from electrical conduit.

I haven't hunted out the old books yet but I guess I was seeing things.

A friend reminded me that an old sports car book we both own does explain how to make sway bars but it requires heat treating at the end. Can't think of how I'd do that at home.

The basic consensus was that sway bars can be hollow but they certainly are not made with electrical conduit which will bend and stay bent (like it is supposed to...) and will really offer little resistance since it's designed o be bent easily and it thin walled.

I have found some cheap solutions to some expensive problems before (by passing the after market) and thought maybe this was one too.

As many of you noticed - and a few complained - the question was cross posted on about 7 lists, and I figured that each list would get it's own clean copy with no reference to the other lists. Just trying to use the computer to save some effort of actually composing each list's post.

Everyone got a copy but each got a pretty busy bunch of addresses.

I cross posted the question to get a good variety of answers since each list has it's 'experts'. It was a general question that applies to any car or truck so I didn't expect to see any complaints. I think the ones I did see were because folks were concerned about the many address at the top.

Thanks again everyone for all the answers!

CHRIS in Tennessee scmills@tntech.edu ICQ: 5944649

'78 VW Westfalia (maybe some CIS injection,Corvair, turbos --- maybe I'm just dreaming.....) '65 Beetle (Type IV powered) '99 CR-V 5 speed '49 Chevy 3100 Pickup '81 Honda CB900C