Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:11:58 -0500
From:         "Spooner, Robert E." <bob.spooner@MIDDLETOWNPOWER.COM>
Subject:      Newbie Questions 1991 GL

Folks, I am the new owner of a Vanagon. I'm not new to VW's (or VW-related mailing lists), just this particular model. I have some questions, please send me your thoughts.

This 1991 GL is a beauty; the PO bought it from FL for the nanny to drive the kids around in (!)...she didn't like it, and it has only been driven 3k miles in the past 3 years. He's had it maintained well, and it's running great. No rust, none!

First question: this Vanagon will be driven here in New England daily, and be subject to all of the corrosive nastiness the roads can muster. What should I pay close attention to ensure this example stays rust-free as long as possible? Any particular areas that should be frequently washed, or undercoated, or otherwise protected?

Second: does anyone make a full-roof sized rack (that would be available in NE)...or am I going to have to make one for myself?

Third: On the way to work this morning I put some gas in it. I put the filler lock on and depended on the auto shutoff. At the same instant that the filler shutoff, there was a gurgle, and bunch of gas poured out from under the Van. I'd say almost a quart. I looked under, and it looked like it was pouring off of the top of the tank. Could there be a vent or an overflow there that came disconnected? Is there a drain from the filler area that may be disconnected? (on my thing there is such a drain, and it goes back to the tank) Any ideas?

Forth: does anyone make a parcel tray for the front, like an old bus, or would it just get in the way? Anyone devise something particularly crafty for holding the items that clutter the driving area?

Fifth: I'd like to put a rotating seat base on the passenger side, where can I get one of those?

Although the Van has been maintained very well, the PO didn't know the history of the engine. I bought the van because the body was perfect and the price was right, knowing that there could well be engine issues. Yep, this past weekend, after some highway time I looked under and see drops of coolant hanging from the corners of the block. I know this is going to need heads. My questions is: what is the progression? I see drips on the block now, but it's not marking my driveway. How much time do I have? Should I just bring it in now? Am I risking damage by waiting? Finally, what is a reasonable cost for new heads, and orings, gaskets, labor, etc.

If you've made it this far, I thank you. Have a great day.

Bob East Haddam, CT