Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:04:29 -0700
From:         Charlie Partin <partin@FONE.NET>
Subject:      Re: hardware and torqueing was Flexing cranks and Yielding Bolts
              one              last time
Comments: To: Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>

I know that there is at least two bolt lengths for this (3 belt) pulley. When I replaced my '84 1.9L a couple of years ago the long block I received took a shorter pulley bolt. Fortunately the VW mech that was installing it noticed this and I spent a week getting the correct bolt. He wouldn't use washers for spacers, said they may interfere with maintaining the correct torque over time (BS or not, I don't know). I don't remember how much difference in length there was but I think it was about 1/2 inch. I did a little research and found that in late '85 was when it changed.

Charlie P Del Norte, CO ----- Original Message ----- From: Robert Donalds To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 9:02 AM Subject: hardware and torqueing was Flexing cranks and Yielding Bolts one last time

Ken As you know I glass bead some engine parts and heads when I rebuild them snip

a couple of problems I have seen worth pointing out on the vanagon engines the bolt for the front pulley locks up before the pulley is tight I cant explain why this keeps coming up but I have had to chase the threads in the crank and add washers to get the pulley secure there does not seem to be more than one bolt length snip Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com as always all rights reserved

[text/html]