Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:30:27 -0500
From:         Kate McLaughlin <KateMacMac@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Coolant Leak # 602

Wow I haven't had to write in for a while now. I missed you all! Well I am having a moral dilemma. I have this great vanagon named Stella and I am very attached to her, so much so that I have had the head gasket replaced 3 years ago, a new transmission 2 years ago, new brakes $500 ago, new hoses and a cat converter $787.54 (not to mention 3 weeks ago), and two days ago I saw the dripping of the anti-freeze again. I drooped it off to Euclid foreign Motors in Euclid, OH and the owner said it was probably the head gasket again. He also told me that I could drive it as long as it was cool out, but no extended trips and not driving when it is hot out. My options are as he put it: 1) Sell Stella 2) Put in a new engine (A VW Re-built) 3) New head gasket

Now here are the symptoms that I got out of him: Stella is not leaking bad, but the coolant is not getting back from the engine, hence the overflow tank empties after driving, he did a compression check, and he could not identify a leak, but it's dripping slowly, so it has to be in the compressor. I asked him if the water pump is OK and he said yes, (it should be, that was about $250 ago and if it was after the transmission). Well I have read up on the head gasket info on the Vanagon site, now I'm doing it again.

Now I am in luck in one manner, I do know a guy who worked for the mechanic that is currently looking at Stella, and he has offered me some very cheap labor, cases of beer!! What a deal, but I am a full time student and I work in a bar, so I will have a money cap. My other probelm is I am moving or Ashland, OR after I finish up classes this May (no I was not planning on driving out there)

So my dilemma is: I love Stella, but I am not a millionaire, I would love to keep her. I have heard talk and rumors about putting in other than VW engines, but I know little about that and my mechanic has never heard of any such news. So any one with any information, suggestion, or millionaires looking to adopt a grand daughter and Stella, please, I beg you for some input.

Thanks again Kate