Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:18:17 EST
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cooling question...
Comments: To: Finrun@aol.com

In a message dated 2/15/2001 1:26:59 PM Pacific Standard Time, Finrun@AOL.COM writes:

> I have always been concerned about > the rubber parts, but I am wondering about the steel now.

I can't advise you exactly, but I do have a tip. When I went into my coolant system over the summer I found I need to replace a few rubber coolant hoses. As long as I had the system open it seemed to make sense to replace all the rubber since my bus is 18 years old and the hoses were original. The tip I have is that if you find yourself needing/wanting to replace the hoses at this point Ken at VanAgain (www.vanagain.com) is a great source for the hoses in that he had them IN STOCK and ready to ship. Other vendors I dealt with needed a few weeks to back order them and the VW dealer--well they could get them in a few days except for one which would have taken 3 weeks. And Ken's stuff is the genuine VW article at roughly half the price the VW dealer charges--or at any rate much cheaper.

As for the metal pipe--I assume you mean one from the head to the water pump--my metal pipe was completely covered with surface rust. It would surprize me if your pipe is rusting from the inside. That's not to say it couldn't happen, but to me it seems more likely it is surface rust from a knick like you stated. But of course you want to be sure whether or not it's a problem before youset out on your trip. And I am speaking in terms of my 1983 bus with a 1.9 litre engine. The pipes may be different on your later model bus.

Hope at least some of this helps Jeff 83.5 Westy NYC