Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:35:40 -0700
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Vanagon and fire

We have about 8 junk yards all in one big area here on the west side of the Salt Lake Valley. As I slopped through the mud in one of them, I saw a blue westy off in the distance. Without my glasses, everything looks okay in the distance :) so I trudged on over to check it out.

I was very sad to see that it had been gutted by a fire that obviously started in the engine compartment. The body was clean, but of course charred at the rear. Everything was still inside it. Curtains, table, sink, a fancy custom stereo, the fold down bed, and most everything else you would expect. I thought of the feelings that the owner must have had as he watched his or her van go up in smoke. I hope no one was hurt.

My 81 is a plain jane transporter, but the enjoyment it gives me is immeasurable, and my children have been places they might never have seen without it. I cannot imagine what I would do without it.This Westy was complete, but front to rear, nothing in it was salvagable. It must have been a terrible event for someone.

If you haven't checked your gas lines and electrical system lately, I would urge you to do so as the weather begins to warm and we are all out enjoying what our vans give us. A fire extinguisher is not all that expensive (get the right class extinguisher) There is more to our vans than most people realize, and I hope everyone can find the time to make certain your 'baby' does not suffer the same fate as this once proud westfalia.

Just waxing philosophical. Thanks for puttin up with me <g>

Regards from Utah,

John

********************** Peace: Either live in it Or rest in it. **********************