Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:59:28 -0600
From:         Christopher Darilek <cdarilek@DAXCONTROL.COM>
Subject:      runs on 2 cyl w/ water on road..

oh wise brothers and sisters of the list..

Does anyone have any ideas as to what would make my '82 Westfalia run on 2 cylinders (#1&2, pulling the spark plug wire on #3 or 4 made no difference in idle) when there's water on the road (having rained, or crossing a low water crossing)? Sometimes it cuts out for just 10 seconds, sometimes for 5 minutes. Last weekend I crossed a low water crossing and it barely made it out - I opened the engine hatch while it was puttering on 2 and saw no water in the engine compartment. I'd rerouted the harness from the brain to the injectors so that it wouldn't touch the tin, but the tin was dry anyway. Flooring the gas pedal made no difference in idle, but holding it between no throttle and floored would kill it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! Christopher Darilek 82 Westfalia Austin, TX