Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Feb 2001 20:10:15 -0500
From:         Bradley Flubacher <flubach@HOME.COM>
Subject:      tapping, removing valve covers

1. Must you drain the oil from the 1.9L engine before you remove the valve covers?

2. About 1 week ago my engine started a tapping. It sounds like a collapsed lifter, so I read up on it in the archives. I drained off some oil, replaced the filter with a new one, and poured in about a quart of marvel mystery oil. I let it idle for about 15 mins and drove it for an additional 15 mins. No change in the tapping.

What should I do next? I thought maybe I should adjust the rockers. When I did some push-rod tubes I adjustect the rockers. Some of the lifters were springy, so I just held them firmly inplace while I did the adjustments. The engine ran quiet and well for about 3,000 miles, probably more.

Should I just readjust the rockers?? Just drive it and hope for the best? (To the best of my knowledge, there is no change in performance since it started tapping)

Bradley Flubacher State College, PA