Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Feb 2001 20:51:55 -0800
From:         Steve Coseo <roadcamp@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Headline-Roadtesting Brian Steel's Silver Syncro SVX - a
              survivor's story...
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: subaruvanagon@egroups.com

Dear Vanagon enthusiasts and other crazy people:

I had the privilege of rekindling memories of MY OWN misspent youth today by taking a ride (and I do mean RIDE) in Mr. Steels' chariot of fire, the aforementioned SVX powered six-cylinder-silver-syncro. I drove my own Legacy engined 88 GL down to Tacoma today to witness first hand this wonderful machine. It's put together very very well, and there is quite a bit of room left in the engine bay. More than I had thought there would be. The exhaust note sounded pleasant, and yes, vaguely reminiscent of that 911 tone that Brian spoke of. But not as ratty/mechanical as a 911, but more pure and civilized. And enough to know something was amiss back there. What turned out to be amiss was the this Vanagon's former agreement with the law's of physics.

This van goes like stink.

Instant smile on my face. I start laughing.

I have to grab that handle by the door old ladies and middle aged men with bad backs use to seat themselves. (I'm the bad back guy).

Cognitive dissonance sets in. "I'm in a vanagon. I'm in a vanagon.."

We then set upon a twisty and then slide into I-5's traffic pattern like a Mako. We go anywhere we feel. Im still holding on. And Brian is not holding back on that tranny folks. And yeah it sounds nice. It really feels like that 88 Carrera I drove a few weeks ago. No hyperbole here. Just honest horsepower and a good gas station credit card.

He then shows me the effect of the larger SA brakes and those huge tires. I almost kiss the windshield.

I gotta get me one of them things.

-sjc

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Brian Steel" <Brian@Smallcar.com> To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Syncro] Vanagon VX 150 mile report; & Big Motor = Dead Trans? Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:53:10 -0000

Derek and Group, My 150 mile first drive report follows but I think it might be interesting to see how my transmission fares. It has 150,000 miles, possibly has some VC binding, has had a slight whine on light acceleration in fourth since I purchased it 35,000 miles ago and did survive a short tire size problem a while back.

I now have 150 miles on my Vanagon with the 3.3 SVX engine and I am having a blast. The engine is more than I had hoped for. It feels and sounds very much like a 911 I had 15 or so years ago (before kids) and I'm afraid I might be beginning my second childhood. It accelerates like a rocket in first and I have found that a second gear start works just fine most of the time. Drive sanely and the engine purrs with a hint of exhaust note that just keeps you aware it is ready for more. It accelerates smoothly from 1200 RPM and the power builds until at 3500 it is pulling hard and doesn't quit until somewhere over 7000. (Need a new face on the tach) The SA big brakes are very nice and it feels like you have 40% more stopping power. Handy to have as it wants to exceed the speed limit in 100 feet or so. I just can't keep my foot out of it. The 16" Yokohama Avid V4 tires hook up admirably and I haven't found their limit on corners so far. (Looking for a local autocross to see if I can find their potential) No one has had to ask me twice for a test drive and I wake every morning thinking, "I get to drive the Vanagon again". Think they'll have to pry the keys from my cold dead fingers. I hope I don't get found out here as this is way too much fun to be legal.

Brian Steel Brian@Smallcar.com http://www.smallcar.com