Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:45:50 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: recommend a multimeter

Schmidt wrote:

> Will someone recommend a multimeter Any help appreciated.Jay, 84 > with "the syndrome" thus far NOT fixed

I'm looking at the 2001 Radio Shack catalog. I don't have any financial interest or special loyalty to them, but they are convenient.

Most any meter will handle the basic voltage and resistance checks needed in automotive applications. A continuity buzzer is handy. You aren't going to be able to measure battery-to-starter current without a special shunt, but to measure the current (amps) drawn by accessories you want the maximum DC amps range to be large (10 or 20 A seems to be typical). Some of the old style analog (meter with needle) type meters are inexpensive but they have a low input impedance compared to the digital type. This means that they cannot measure some low power signals (like from the O2 sensor) without changing the voltage that you are trying to measure. A digital meter will generally be more accurate, and easier to read, except in the case of rapidly changing signals (like the O2 sensor!). A digital meter with an additional bar-graph display should also allow you to follow voltages that fluctuate quickly.

Radio Shack handles Fluke meters (very good brand) thru their website or by special order at stores. They don't list the model 88 that Chris recommended, but judging from the prices they have for similar model numbers, it may cost you around $300. For this price you may get additional features like a temperature probe and built-in frequency meter. For much less money you might consider Radio Shack's own brand which should be in the stores. Perhaps the

22-805 $60 bar-graph, 20A max DC current or 22-174 $90 bar-graph, 10A max DC current, temp probe, freq counter

Take care, happy measuring, Larry A. Chicago 91 GL