Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:57:13 EST
From:         Chuck Mathis <CMathis227@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Warm Off Idle Stumble Part Two -- Some Improvement

My '85 has been a bit cranky lately (even with a new exhaust system and O2 Sensor) so after consulting with the List, Bentley, the Bosch FI book, and Darrell's website I tore into fixing various aspects of 'the problem.'

1) Replaced the cap and rotor -- there was some evidence of burning but not bad. The cap was the older style generic cheapo so I replaced it with the newer style from Bus Depot.

2) Replaced the plug wires with a new Bosch set -- the old ones (surely not factory) were tie-wrapped together and their cheesy red insulation had fused in places. Used plenty of dielectric grease on the connections and routed the wires as far apart as I could get them.

3) Pulled the Bosch Platinium +4's and cleaned them -- a couple were a touch looser and they all showed signs of running rich (probably built up before I replaced the exhaust and O2 sensor). Several folks argued that I should get rid of the +4's but when I first put them in I got an immediate seat of the pants power increase and my gas mileage increased a little. Unless I eat the motor in a way that can be directly attributed to the plugs I'll keep using them. I checked them for even gaps and torqued them in per Bentley.

4) Readjusted the throttle position switch -- I've got opening now right about .021".

5) Replaced the Idle Stabilizer Unit -- this is the second time I've done this and may not have been necessary so I saved the old one just in case.

6) Reset the idle speed and checked the timing.

Final result is a smoother running motor that still stumbles as it comes off idle when it is warm. When cold it flat takes off but warm it stumbles and nearly stalls out unless I stomp the pedal hard enough to engage the throttle position switch in the full throttle position. When this happens the Temp II is showing a steady .08 to .05 -- this seems to be the norm for this engine after it has been driven a while. The O2 Sensor reading at idle will jump around from .70 to .19 until I apply a little pedal the the reading will drop to -0.001 to -0.003 then jump back into the normal range as the throttle position switch reaches the full throttle position.

My two thoughts on this are 1) the engine might not be getting fuel quickly enough (poor fuel pressure regulator?) or 2) the engine is gulping unmetered air. The reason for guessing #2 is when I looked at the AFM the bottom of the throat where it attaches to the rubber boot looks like somebody dropped it! It is slightly deformed and may not be sealing all that well. I'm going to test this later with some duct tape. If the duct tape experiment is successful it may be semi-permanent until I can afford a new AFM -- this may not be too far off anyway because the board looks much worse than the pictures on the website. I suspect the PO got ripped off by a bad shop.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy -- 'Roland'