Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:25:07 -0500
From:         Tim Hannink <hanninkt@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Window Tint..Professional or D.I.Y.?
Comments: To: Jeff Birk <planetp@EARTHLING.NET>

It's possible to do it yourself, but it's a lot of work. You don't have to remove the windows to tint them. I would call around and ask the tinters about the law in MO and get pricing from each of them. You will probably get different interpretations of the law from each of them, so get it in writing that the installation meets local and state law.

I had my 1991 Carat tinted by the VW dealers detail guy for about $120.00 and was very satisfied with the job. He had the van for a day. My '87 had the tinting done in '87 by the original owners tinter, and it still looks great. In Florida, we get it as dark as legally possible since it makes the vehicle so much cooler and the AC doesn't have to work nearly as hard. I have a band on top of the windshield also.

Something to watch out for, if you use the newer metallic tints on the windshield strip, they will interfere with toll road transponders, if you use those in your area. We have a lot of sunshine in Florida, but we also have a lot of toll roads.:>)

Tim Hannink Winter Park, Florida 1987 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Camper - "Goldibox" http://hanninkt.home.netcom.com/