Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Feb 2001 09:55:41 -0800
From:         Leon Korkin <korkwood@SURFREE.COM>
Subject:      Re: (costs)happenings/Boston Bob or Golf?

Terry Kay wrote:

> Phil, > I feel this way about the conversion thing. > The VW Waterboxer, even rebuilt should last at least for 100,000 miles > plus with the proper maintenance. > The Subaru engine should do the same

Subi engine should last at least 200,000 miles, never needs rebuilds as there is plentiful supply of good used engines

> , except the timing belt has to be > changed at least every 50,000 miles, and I am not sure what sort of > laborious task this may be with this engine buried in a Vanagon.

This is non-interference engine, even if timing belt breaks it won't do any damage. You can go 100,000 miles between changes, maybe even more. Changing belt is 2 hour job and there is plenty of room to do it. Leon Subwagen Westy