Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:27:22 -0600
From:         "Frederick M. Wasserstein" <vwvan@CORNHUSKER.NET>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] more hoses to leak
Comments: To: Mark Ingalls <ingalls_mark@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hi Mark, I just wanted to say hello and agreed with you it has been a long winter. We are expecting another winter storm here tommorrow! I have not even had a chance to start "Sammy" in two or three weeks. She is buryed in 2' of drifted snow. I can't wait for spring so I can work on her. :-( I need to be able to drive her around and check for leaks, no leaks when running in driveway for an hour :-) but you can never tell when I start driving her! I also bought a berg shift kit, I let you know after I install it if I like it. Fred 1982 Vanagon Westy Diesel "Sammy" 1984 GMC Suburban Diesel 4 X 4 " The Beast" ----- Original Message ----- From: Mark Ingalls To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 4:12 PM Subject: Re: [vanagon] more hoses to leak

When I replaced the hoses on my 85GL, I replaced the T for the rear heater with a T with all 3 ends the same size. Then the standard size heater hose fits. I think VW had it smaller going to the rear heater so enough coolant would be forced to the front heater to make it warm too.There is supposed to be a restrictor at the rear heater also, but I don't know where mine went to. I thought I put the restictor back in, I hope it didn't come loose and is floating around the cooling system somewhere........with the smaller T size VW used maybe the restrictor piece wouldn't have come loose? I don't know if the restrictor piece is small enough to get past the T that I put in, might be something to check if you go this way. I have my rear heater throttled at the control valve so not all the coolant flow goes to the rear. Also I just replaced my rear heater yesterday with a $95 one from Rocky Mountain Motor Works (because I had a $60 credit there and their parts have a lifetime Warranty, which for the rear heater core might come in handy). As list member David Beierl says "the rear heater keeps the cabin warm and the front heater keeps your toes warm." The Van is much warmer now with the rear heater back in service. Boy it's been a long winter in the midwest this year.

Mark Ingalls ----- Original Message ----- From: hradek@yahoo.com To: vanagon@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 10:40 AM Subject: [vanagon] more hoses to leak

These vanagons have more hoses than you can shake a stick at. Does anyone have any information about the connection from the rear heater to the plastic T piece. It appears that my t-piece failed because a screw clamp had been substituted for those hard to handle spring clamps. In fact the parts man at vw says that the vw service does not use the spring clamps because they are hard to get on and off and prefer the screw clamps. I can see that at the plastic T and other places the spring clamp is a better idea. I belive my heater

hose to this plastic T was too short and complicated by the screw clamp which may have been overtightened. The spring clamps are hard

to get out, particuliar in hard to get places. The question I have about the heater hose connection to the plastic T is if the end of the hose is flaired out to a larger size as it goes into the T or can you just by standard hose from flaps? The oem T on this manual 1987 vanagon appears to have a standard hose but Ken and Ron appear to sell a 30 dollar hose which may or may not require modification???? What about the heater side? More for curosity, why is the price of the hose from thermostat toward the radiator for an automatic 3 times the price of a standard. Not to beat a dead horse but these vanagons have more spring clamps than you can shake a hose at. spring leaks gary

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor www.