Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:39:45 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Odometer Repair-Migrating Shaft
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Comments: cc: hanran@earthlink.net

At 05:14 PM 2/25/2001, John Rodgers wrote: >2) Pot metal Gear Slippage. > This gear is on the same shaft as the teflon gear but at the opposite >end. It is the drive gear for the mileage counters, and it will slip on >its shaft. This is the one that many people have tried using a bit of >everything on. Roughing the shaft surface and pressing the gear back on, >super glue, spit and bubble gum, etc, etc. It's tough to fix. And I am >still working on it. >Wish I had an easy solution for a fix on it like the finger on the >teflon gear end of the shaft, but I don't. I'm open to suggestions >myself.

If epoxying the gear to the shaft (after thorough cleaning with acetone) didn't do it, I'd be inclined to try making a shaft that was built up a little at the pot-metal-gear end, and press the gear onto that. The hole in the frame at that end would have to be opened up to match, of course.

Or...

File the shaft to about half-diameter where the gear goes, as flat as possible. Use a small round (square?) file to notch the gear hub to accept a short round (square?) pin that would jam between the gear hub and the flatted shaft, then a drop of cyanoacrylate to keep the whole thing from walking away (or maybe use the world's smallest Woodruff key? <g>). I'm not sure whether there would be enough clearance to assemble this little delight...though of course drilling out the frame and putting in a bushing would solve that. I'm assuming that the beige gear on the other end ought to be left severely alone if it's not already coming off...

I don't want to disassemble my existing speedo which is working fine thank you...but if someone has some junk ones lying about I could play with them a bit.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"