Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:11:11 EST
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: WTB: Frnt floor mats (waterproof)
Comments: To: seangar@hotmail.com

In a message dated 2/26/2001 12:05:54 PM Pacific Standard Time, seangar@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> Anyone know of such a mat??? >

I looked for such a mat for a while. There are solutions discussed on the list last week, including the "fitted" rubber mats that say "VANAGON" on them in 70s bubble letters that I think are available at Bus Depot--but they are a little retro and a bit cheesey looking IMHO. The also fit a little odd toward the front in that the mat kind of take on 'V' shape with notches--kind of lapels if you will. They are not the "hold 1 gallon of water" type--just regular rubber passenger car style mats.

To solve my problem I finally went to Pep Boys and bought two generic heavy duty floor mats. They have a layout like kind of a small square on a larger square and have fairly deep ridges. I put them on the floor opposite of they way they are designed to lay--meaning the narrower square goes toward the seat and the wider square goes up toward the pedals. The catch is they have to be cut in a semi circle around the wheel hump by the seats which negates the water holding feature. And a notch has to be cut in the edging for the gas pedal.

For my money ($15 each) they work as well as any mat can that I have found. The mat is manufactured by Kraco and is available in black and brown. It is called something like: heavy duty truck floor mat--but it's generic, not designed for any specific vehicle. IMHO it's better than the carpeted mat and easier to clean.

Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA